Friday was the first day I could drive after my surgery, and I think my sweetie was quite relieved. I really enjoyed the experience yesterday, as I took a little tour of business 71, all the way down to Fayetteville to see the new Sam's Club. The club was quite similar in layout to the one in Bentonville, but I saw a few interesting new treasures there, though it was a little disconcerting to happen onto the book aisle and find Stephen Colbert staring me down.
This morning, I filled up my little mp3 player with tunes from the 'net! I pull new music from several websites where I've consistently found interesting and challenging music, and did I mention these posts are free? Just in case you're interested, here are my favorite sites for discovering new music:
3Hive
Fluxblog
Largehearted Boy
Music for Robots
Stereogum
Fingertips music
I'm also playing around with Linux - I read several blog posts recently about Puppy Linux, bootable from a CD, and so I tried it out. An odd experience with a different OS on a familiar machine, and if I can ever figure out how to get my wireless enabled on it, I might be able to utilize an old machine I have to run as a PVR in the living room. Unfortunately, much tinkering would have to be done to get to that point and I already have quite enough on my plate for a while. Speaking of which, time to change out the laundry, feed the dog and myself.
Here's where the dog and one of my cats are as I write this post... both of 'em keeping an eye on me in case I do something interesting, like get up from my desk or drop some food, but they're trying not to look like they really care.

They're really bad actors.

2 comments:
Congrats on blog... V2. Why the change?
And give a distant friend the scoop on your latest trip to the clinic. Sounds like things are OK, but what gives?
Keep it up! The new blog is in the reader.
(I'd sent Brian a note back on this, but thought I would share part of it on the blog - TomR.)
Thanks for the comment! My take on the old blog was to try to be somewhat impersonal, but that wasn't working. I took a tip from you and am focusing this blog to reflect my own perspective.
The Mayo visit was half check up, half fix up. My defibrillator showed an error in August that indicated that there was a problem with one of the leads (the wires that go from the defib to the heart). X-rays revealed that the wire had broken, so they had to run another lead. With my rather odd physiology, they had to route it down my left side and I wound up with three incisions. The one most bothersome was in my left breast area between shoulder and collarbone; since they cut thru muscle, I ran around with my left arm in a sling for two weeks so I wouldn't lift anything heavier than 5lbs, stretch or reach or lift my elbow higher than my shoulder while the wound healed. Finally able to drive and do some reaching, I depend on regular old Tylenol to battle the soreness.
Things are OK now, health-wise. I've been told that the leads are the most vulnerable failure point since they're never as flexible as the body they inhabit. Wires break, and I'll bet this isn't the only time I have to deal with this.
Post a Comment