'Tis the season, as I'm getting a bunch of catalogs in the mail. All the usual suspects, because we bought from them before: Lands' End, LL Bean, Musician's Friend, and Harry & David, but the Hammacher Schelemmer catalog was the one that caught my attention, since they had the Robot from the Lost In Space TV series on the cover. I thought that was pretty cute, they sure know their demographic. I was thinking that it was just a toy replica, with some computerized upgrades, etc., probably a remote control, yada, yada...
It's not a toy. It's life-size (6.5 feet tall). It moves and talks (with the official Dick Tufeld vocalizations). The best part is, "Pulling the robot's power pack causes it to utter 'Aaghhhhhh...' just as it did in the TV series when being shut-down; plugging it back in prompts it to say 'Who turned out the lights?'."
I had a lot of childhood adventures in my head with that Robot, so much so that, for a time, I lobbied everyone I knew to call me Will instead of Tom because I wanted to be Will Robinson and go into space with my Robot and have adventures. Mom and Dad were really bad at remembering to call me Will, and Dad even told me one time that the show was silly.
Oh yeah, it was silly, and it still is, but there on the TV was a kid only a little older than I was, out in space with his family and his Robot, having a grand old time. Now I'm much older, they've finally come out with a life size Robot. Admittedly, he's not autonomous, doesn't shoot lighting from his claws, and still has that silly power pack vulnerability... but now all I need is a spaceship (and an extra 25 grand lying around) to really blast off and have a space adventure.
Heck, I could also pick up Robby and have twice the fun for twice the price!
Friday, October 26, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment