Saturday, October 20, 2007

New Music Shorties

Shorty sketche of new music I’m listening to this weekend:

Bo Bice “See the Light” – had a nice chat with Bo last week and just got his new CD in – think southern rock boogie in the template of Black Crowes, Lynyrd Skynyrd, and Allman Brothers and you have it (Steve Gorman, long-time Black Crowes drummer, plays drums on this - and you can thank Will Ferrell for that). Some really good grooves here, especially “Got Money” and “Take the Country.”

Robert Plant & Allison Krauss “Raising Sand” – which bus did these two folks get on together to meet? It’s not Zep, it’s not quite bluegrass (blueppelin? Ledgrass?), but it is pretty damn magical and will require many more listenings. Their voices blend together like cough syrup and chocolate but it works.

Dwight Yoakam “Dwight Sings Buck” – this is gonna make me miss Buck Owens all weekend long. I expect that after this I’m going to load my Buck box up and listen to it as well. Dwight and Buck were friends (they recorded a duet of “Streets of Bakersfield,” one of Buck’s great hits, many years ago) and what little I’ve heard so far is reverent but fun, I look forward to listening to the whole dang thang – probably more than once, if Robert & Allison let me.

Still to listen to: Gary Allen, Carrie Underwood – more later, with details.

No comments: