I’ve been inattentive to my blog for some time (Geez, really? Over a month is “inattentive?” How long does “abandoned” take?) and, while I’ve known this and thought about what I could say to crank it up again, two things happened recently that have kicked my ass into gear.
The first thing was the death of my friend George this weekend. Don’t get me wrong, George didn’t know me and I didn’t personally know George, but I’m sure I’m not alone when I say that I felt like I knew George, even if it was just a little. And now he’s gone, and I feel very much like I’ve lost a friend. Now look, I’m not gonna eulogize the guy, I just want to appreciate what he taught me and the laughs he gave me whilst making me think. I downloaded his last album on Amazon last night and listened to it this morning as I was dealing with e-mails and computer admin stuff. I can’t wait to play it for my Sweetie during our next driving trip. From what I know about George, I think he’d lambast anyone’s ass for leaving their blog alone this long. “Write, goddamnit! Get your shit out there!”
Here's one of his later bouts of philosophy that you might enjoy (and it's mostly worksafe).
The other thing was… I got called on it. Yep, my friend Brian (who is my window on NYC) noticed that I’ve been perpetually predisposed to procrastination (how’d’ya like that little bit of alliteration, George?) and then he called me on it in his blog. So naturally, I must rise to the challenge and bestir my semi-mobile buns to bring my blog up to date.
Now I feel guilty, ‘cause you’re all going to think that it takes a famous comic biting the dust and a friend calling my bluff to get me to blog. Now you’re thinking that you’ll have to wait until some other famous comic croaks and another one of my more observant compadres point out my proclivity for procrastination (really, I just like typing the word “procrastination,” it’s fun!) before I blog again. Au contraire, mon frère!
But it’s the doing, not the talking, that gets it done. So here I go…
Tuesday, June 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment