Truly interesting post on Lefsetz' Letter regarding a conversation he had with Seth Godin about music education. It's not about guys in wigs who created waltzes a half-gazillion years ago, it's about learning how to make music.
It reminded me about why I quit piano lessons - I was learning to make music, but not the music I wanted to learn to make. (Honestly? "Beth" by Kiss. It was on the radio, it had piano, and it wasn't so freakin' hard to learn, but it wasn't in Mrs. Huguley's radar, so I wound up losing interest.) I picked up the bass because I could play "Should I Stay Or Should I Go" without a lot of training, and it led me to learn much more complicated songs, play in bands, learn to play and sing at the same time, and eventually lead my own band (before the drummer moved and the subsequent tragic breakup).
Wanna pick something up? Start with something simple and get the excitement started. Seth's completely right, and Gladwell's 10,000 hours theory only indicates that the enthusiasm is harder to kill for the truly committed. (I loved the story about John Mayer. Yay teachers!)
Meanwhile, it's been a while since I had blisters on my fingers.
Saturday, April 4, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment